running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:23:22 -0700

In following this thread, I have to say one thing that hasn't really
been addressed is kernel based solutions like Speakup.  The only way I
know if that one could use Speakup with Speech Dispatcher is through
speechd_up and AFAIK, that would require Speech Dispatcher to run as a
system service.  So we need to keep that functionality in place.

For the most part lately, the autospawn feature in Speech Dispatcher
has been working OK but I did have a few random occurrences where it
did not start up properly and thus Orca did not come up talking.  I
tend to bullet proof myself by running a quick test of spd-say just to
make sure Speech Dispatcher is running OK before doing a startx.  The
bad thing about doing it this way is if I were to use gdm and have it
use Orca and all, that autospawn would have to work *EVERY* time as I
can't easily jump into a gdm user session and quick test spd-say
first.  When I was using a system service, it was just there and
always working.

Now I can see if a multi user situation is going on, then we need the
session stuff like we have it now.  I think I like the idea of having
command lines options to override the default socket method and
possibly, speech output method.  This way, I, as a package maintainer,
could set up a central script and allow for Speech Dispatcher to run
as a system service but still offer the config files built in a way a
user could use them in user session mode if so desired.  Then the user
could just decide whether or not to have that startup script run or
not.