running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:10:09 -0700

Well, I've pretty much given up on getting speech dispatcher to run as
a system service here and be able to use gdm.  All the various
configurations and tests have continuously come up with gdm not
connecting to speechd where as soon as I change back to autospawn and
user sessions, it all works again.  Were it not for the gdm problems,
I had a central system service of speechd running fine with either
inet or unix sockets.  In fact, towards the end of my testing, I could
see how unix sockets could be more secure and defining access
priveleges and all but I even verified that the SPEECHD_ADDRESS values
was showing up inside the gdm run script but alas no speechd for gdm.

So unless I see another compelling reason to go with a system service
with speech dispatcher in Arch, I think I'll just stick to user
sessions and autospawning.  at least that's working now.  I'm hoping
that using libao as an output method instead of alsa might prevent the
contention problems I ran into yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for you all's help; I tried but there must be something that
keeps gdm from talking to the speech server when it is not dynamically
spawned.