running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: William Hubbs
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:06:56 -0500

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:14:28AM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On 7.10.2010 10:11, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> > I think we should port over the opentts patch to provide a default user
> > and paths that are system wide to be used with a --system flag.
> >

> Yes, please. That would make it slightly more convenient,
> not having to setup the paths in the init script and could
> save some work for the packagers.

One thing that I got that I consider very positive from OpenTTS was the
learning experience, and from that, I know that I want to do system mode
differently this time around.

In OpenTTS, we set the user and group that we dropped to at configure
time.  I think it would be much better to do that at runtime with
command line options.  There are other packages out there that do this
this way, such as ntp, and I think it would be the better way to go.

William