running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: William Hubbs
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:43:29 -0500

Hello Hynek,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:57:33PM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> On 11.10.2010 17:01, Steve Holmes wrote:
> What would be really nice, would be if the /etc/init.d/
> script could set SPEECHD_ADDRESS into future user
> sessions. Then starting speechd system-wide would
> automatically reroute future clients to it. Maybe we could
> then also consider SPEECHD_DISABLE_AUTOSPAWN
> environment variable.

The way you set up things for future sessions, at least on gentoo, is to
drop files ending in .sh in /etc/profile.d.  These are sourced as part
of /etc/profile, so they are run when someone logs in.

> We would need to dynamically override the contents
> of /etc/profile. Maybe distros could solve it by including
> a file that gets overwritten by the /etc/init.d script on
> start and stop calls. This is hackish, but could actually
> work if there is no better way.

How about something like this in /etc/profile.d.  A file that checks to
see if there is a system wide version of speechd running, and if there
is, it sets the speechd_address environment variable.

William