running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: William Hubbs
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:37:07 -0500

Hi Halim,

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 04:49:50PM +0200, Halim Sahin wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:14:28AM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> > On 7.10.2010 10:11, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> > > I'm curious why you are so opposed to speech dispatcher
> > > running as a system service?
> > >

> > Security, no clear way to autospawn, not reachable via DBUS,
>
> It doesn't need root privileges (under debian),

What doesn't need root privs?

> BTW.: gdm runs as root under Gentoo :-(

I'm not a gnome user, but I would think that this isn't good.

> > not compatible with PulseAudio,
>
> That is not a problem  in general. If the pa folks would care about
> _special_ needs of a11y we wouldn't discus this user-session problem
> almost every day. redesigning speechd speechd is only needed of that
> audio playback issue.
> Don't forget that a big distro like debian doesn't install pa in their
> default setup.

 On gentoo we currently leave the default configs alone and warn users
 if they disable pulse audio and tell them they will have to edit the
 config files.

But, sd having pulse as its default audio system concerns me as well.  I
think there should be a better setup than that since there are distros
out there which do not use pulse for their default audio system.

> It checks for changes in the active tty and loads the setting of the
> user who works on the current active console.
> If that user doesn't have such settings, it uses system's global ones.

 SBL is linux specific, but sd runs on several *nix platforms, such as
 macos and solaris.

 How do you propose to do this in a portable fashion?

Let me work on the speechd-up side; I believe I can make speechd-up work
with the new model and if that is the case we will be ok I think.

William