running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:14:28 +0200

On 7.10.2010 10:11, Trevor Saunders wrote:
> I think we should port over the opentts patch to provide a default user
> and paths that are system wide to be used with a --system flag.

Yes, please. That would make it slightly more convenient,
not having to setup the paths in the init script and could
save some work for the packagers.

> I'm curious why you are so opposed to speech dispatcher
> running as a system service?

Security, no clear way to autospawn, not reachable via DBUS,
not compatible with PulseAudio,  problems with order of startup,
dependency on distributions init scripts which often proved to
be broken, problems in multi-user environments.

Anyway, as I proposed, I think we need to compile a list
of pros and cons for both solutions and then refer to it
in the documentation, so that packagers and users would
be able to choose either. They will both stay supported.

Best regards,
Hynek