running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:23:30 -0700

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 08:40:18AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
>  That works without a startup script because of autospawn, and that is
>  what you want.  What is happening in that case is you are running
>  speech-dispatcher as a user.
>
> The issue is going to happen if someone tries to run speech-dispatcher
> from your startup script as root.
>
> If anyone does that, they will find that files will be saved in
> /root/.speech-dispatcher instead of the normal system wide places
> (/var/log and /var/run).
>
> I was thinking that I would be able to modify the system wide
> configuration in /etc/speech-dispatcher to get around this, but the
> issue then becomes, if a user doesn't have a configuration and they want
> to run as a user, they have to have a configuration in their home
> directory to do that.
>
> So I'm thinking that I won't write a startup script at all on gentoo for
> now.

I'm beginning to think the same way.  Maybe I should pull the startup
script from Arch too.  If I configure things to use the system wide
route and use internet sockets and then someone wants to use it as an
individual and use unix sockets for better security and all, then the
configs have to be copied into the user's home directory and be
manually changed; sounds like a lot of extra complexity that we don't
need.

I would also be interested in any further discussion in this area.  It
sounds like to me that this session integration, pulse audio and
related crap is creating undue hardship on accessibility efforts.  I
mean, what is so bad about having speech and audio running as a system
service?