running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode

From: William Hubbs
Subject: running speech-dispatcher-0.7.1 in system mode
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:40:18 -0500

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 06:07:07AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> When I built the package in the Arch User Repository, I didn't really
> do anything special.  Since in Arch, if you want the thing to come up
> automatically, the user is expected to add the startup script
> invokation to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.  However, I would
> suppose one would need to alter the value of the autospawn variable in
> the central speechd.conf file accordingly.  Frankly, I never addressed
> the problem formally.  I just make sure spd-say works from a normal
> user before I startx to run Orca.

 That works without a startup script because of autospawn, and that is
 what you want.  What is happening in that case is you are running
 speech-dispatcher as a user.

The issue is going to happen if someone tries to run speech-dispatcher
from your startup script as root.

If anyone does that, they will find that files will be saved in
/root/.speech-dispatcher instead of the normal system wide places
(/var/log and /var/run).

I was thinking that I would be able to modify the system wide
configuration in /etc/speech-dispatcher to get around this, but the
issue then becomes, if a user doesn't have a configuration and they want
to run as a user, they have to have a configuration in their home
directory to do that.

So I'm thinking that I won't write a startup script at all on gentoo for
now.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

William