symbolic voice-types versus synthesis voices

From: Christopher Brannon
Subject: symbolic voice-types versus synthesis voices
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 22:06:46 +0000

Unfortunately, I don't have a very solid proposal.  I just find it
slightly confusing that there are two ways to select a voice.
When I replied to Andrei's message yesterday, I commented that
it would be nice to do away with the synthesis voice entirely.  From a
user's perspective, it is perhaps easier to think about voices in general
terms, such as male1 and female1.  On second thought, this
classification can be too rigid at times.  The "synthesis voice" setting
allows the greatest flexibility.

-- Chris