symbolic voice-types versus synthesis voices

From: Tomas Cerha
Subject: symbolic voice-types versus synthesis voices
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 21:12:14 +0100

Dne 8.11.2010 17:00, Andrei Kholodnyi napsal(a):
>> I'm not sure if you mean this for some sort of internal identifiers or names
>> exposed to the user.
>
> yes, I meant names exposed to the user. However "native" synth names
> are fine as well.

Ok.

>> Client:
>>  LIST VOICES
>> Server:
>>  1 Samantha
>>  2 Serena
>> Client:
>>  VOICE PROPERTIES 1
>> Server:
>>  LANG: en
>>  VARIANT: US
>>  GENDER: female
>>  AGE: 25
>
> why do we need a 2-steps approach?
>
> Client:
> LIST VOICES
> Server:
> 1 Samantha en US female 25
> 2 Serena en UK female 25
>
> this should be sufficient.

Yes, it was just an example to explain what I mean.

> we can also request something like
> LIST VOICES LANGUAGE=en GENDER=female

Yes, that might be practical too, even though it is not essential.

The only remaining question is compatibility.  Can we safely remove the current
symbolic
voices and support native voices only?  I guess not.  So we need some ideas how
maintain compatibility with current clients if we want to make such a change.

Best regards, Tomas