rfc: indenting and coding style

From: William Hubbs
Subject: rfc: indenting and coding style
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:51:18 -0600

All,

I see that we still haven't decided on a coding style or run our code
through an indenting tool.

I am willing to do the work for this if everyone is ok with it, and here
is what My thoughts are.

I think we need to decide on a coding style first. The two leading
styles seem to be the kernel or gnu style. Personally, I definitely
prefer the kernel style, because I find it easier to read. But, if more
people in the group prefer the gnu style, we can use it as well.

Once we decide which style to use, we can start re-indenting the code.
If we do it all at once, we have to wait until all of the current pending
patches have been encorporated or sent back to the contributor. On the
other hand, if we re-indent parts of the code, we can go ahead and
reindent portions of the code that do not have any pending patches then
do the rest of it after the patches are submitted or sent back.

Either way, the list needs to be informed when we have indented the code
and from that point forward we should stick to whichever style we choose.

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

William