WIP audio in server

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: WIP audio in server
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 18:48:20 -0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx at gmail.com> writes:

> having played with writing a few speechd clients, I'm very glad I
> don't have to worry about how to actually use/play the audio.

Plus one, brother.  I'm a lazy programmer.  If I want to make my
application talk, I probably don't want to have to handle the audio I/O
on my own.

> The sockets v pipes question is an interesting one
*snip*
> From a security perspective, pipes are probably a better
> choice.

Well, the default these days is to use Unix-domain sockets.  They're
just files in the filesystem.  Access control is protected by standard
filesystem permissions, which are well-understood.
It's about as secure as pipes.
You have to jump through some hoops to use actual Internet sockets with
a recent Speech Dispatcher.

-- Chris