speechd-el term or ansi-term in character mode

From: Tim Cross
Subject: speechd-el term or ansi-term in character mode
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:02:37 +1000

Hi Milan and others,

I've recently started using speechd-el on my Linux system, partly to give
it a go, partly because I didn't want to got through all the hassles of
getting emacspeak's ibm tts to work (emacspeaks espeak support is not vary
good), but mainly because my situation has changed slightly and I have been
lucky enough to get some sight back. This allows me an option to try a
different solution which is more lightweight. I have used emacspeak for
years, but emacspeak is a vary comprehensive and very customized emacs
experience. This can be really good, especially if you have no sight at
all. However, it is a full, complex and large system. Now that I have some
sight back, it has features and customizations I don't really need or want
and moves me unnecessarily far from the base emacs experience. I think
emacspeak is a vary good package, but I also feel it is too tightly tied to
the backend speech synthesizer and it doesn't let you easily load modules
or components - you really need to go with it and jump in with both feet.

I didn't want this to be a post about emacspeak. I really wanted to just
let everyone know there is another new speechd-el user out there and ask
two questions.

1. Milan, why do you think there are so few speechd-el users? It seems like
a good solution to me and I really like the whole speech-dispatcher concept
of separating front-end/back-end etc. It is easy to setup and I think it
has the positive of not being too invasive, allowing easy customisation of
emacs, which is after all, the real power of emacs.

2. I currently still run emacspeak under OSX. Has there been any work to
support speech-dispatcher under OSX or integrate speechd-el with OSX
voiceOver?