Various conflicts

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: Various conflicts
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 21:46:34 -0000

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 01:25:47PM AEDT, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use alsa 1.1, speech-dispatcher 0.8.6.Orca 3.22. I use Kali. Heree are
> 2 usecases:
> 1. Chromevox: I run chromium with --enable-speech-dispatcher switch. If
> Orca is on (3.22), I get errors, and Orca speaks but not Chromevox. If I
> make Orca off, then Chromevox speaks properly.
> 2. Mumble: I request to be notified of events via speech. Mumble uses
> speech-dispatcher. When it notifies messages, Orca speech synth is
> suspended until the end of the message.
>
> I can help is needed, tell me what log level is needed and what log you
> want.

It sounds like different clients are using different priorities. The higher
the priority, the more important the message, so it stops anything else that
is being spoken. Looks like Orca is using the message priority, which
according to the code, is second out of 5 priority options. Mumble also
appears to be using the message priority. The message priority doesn't
interrupt itself, so any new text received at priority message is queued.

As for Chromevox, I would be interested in learning what errors it gives
while Orca is running. You could run speech-dispatcher with loglevel set to 5
in speechd.conf. You can then get the speech-dispatcher log file from
/run/user/$UID/speech-dispatcher/log/speech-dispatcher.log. Feel free to send
it to me directly.

Luke