Pipewire

From: Peter Vágner
Subject: Pipewire
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 10:44:41 +0100

Hello,

Today I've tried replacing pulseaudio 14 with pipewire pulseaudio support on my laptop running arch linux.

I had to blindly unmute master playback controls using amixer after switching from pulseaudio to pipewire-pulse otherwise I would get no speech at all.

If you have got only one sound card and are trying the same thing then your command to run blindly or over SSH would be...

amixer -- sset Master playback 100% on

So imagine I am now up and running with pulseaudio on pipewire, I am getting sound and it's all crystal clear.

Now speech-dispatcher comes into play.

Speech-dispatcher is configured to use pulse libpulse is awailable on the system, speech-dispatcher can therefore output sound through pulseaudio on pipewire.

What is not working the way I am expecting is that speech dispatcher is unable to interupt audio.

For example if I type command ls into the terminal orca starts reading the whole output. Then if I switch to another window by pressing alt+tab I like to cause presentation of the switch window event to interupt reading of the terminal output.

I guess that some bits of the pulseaudio API are not 1:1 compatible on pipewire.

Can you think what that might be so we can report this and hopefully get this improved?

Thanks and greetings

Peter