Re: Pipewire

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Pipewire
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:06:28 +0100

Hello,

Peter Vágner, le ven. 25 déc. 2020 10:44:41 +0100, a ecrit:
> I guess that some bits of the pulseaudio API are not 1:1 compatible on
> pipewire.
>
> Can you think what that might be so we can report this and hopefully get
> this improved?

I guess that pipewire is ignoring the pa_buffer_attr tlength field that
tells pulseaudio how much buffering should be done, and thus buffers
all audio data in, and speech-dispatcher thus doesn't have any way to
discard all that data (or possibly even simply know when that audio is
actually done playing). Actually the pulseaudio API is not good for
speech-dispatcher to be able to monitor audio progress. I guess a native
pipewire audio plugin would work much better, help welcome!
https://github.com/brailcom/speechd/issues/447

Samuel