Re: [STUMP] cmucl 18d, clx, stumpwm cvs

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [STUMP] cmucl 18d, clx, stumpwm cvs
Date: 25 Sep 2003 08:35:03 -0500

Chris Beggy <address@hidden> writes:

> My experience with stumpwm-cvs is similar to Jay Belanger's.

Yeah, that looks similar to my problem.
Shawn pointed out my problem and helped me fix it.
(Of course, any stupid things I ended up doing I did
on my own.)
The problem is that X wasn't running when I tried to start
StumpWM.  What I did (which I don't think is the standard
thing to do) is to have a simple shell script to start
StumpWM, and then call it from .xinitrc.  So my .xinitrc
looks like

--begin .xinitrc--
rxvt &
startstumpwm
--end .xinitrc----

(I need to have the rxvt terminal running, I'm not sure how to start a
new program in stumpwm without it) and I have the executable file
startstumpwm in my PATH, the file is

--begin startstumpwm--
#!/bin/sh
lisp -load /home/belanger/.bin/stump.lisp
--end startstumpwm----

Hm.  There are more layers here than I remembered.  Anyhow,
the file stump.lisp is

--begin stump.lisp---
;;; Load everything
(require 'clx)
(load "/home/belanger/.stump/stumpwm.lisp")
(load "/home/belanger/.stump/stumpwm-input.lisp")
(load "/home/belanger/.stump/stumpwm-user.lisp")

;;; Customizations

;;; Get it started
(stumpwm:stumpwm "" :display 0)
--end stump.lisp-----

As I said, this certainly isn't the standard solution, and I'm sure
others will point out better ones, but this works for me.

Jay