[STUMP] NETWM hacking

From: Magnus Henoch
Subject: [STUMP] NETWM hacking
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:34:02 +0200

In the interest of distributed development of Stumpwm, I have set up
a GNU Arch archive.  (See http://wiki.gnuarch.org to learn about GNU
Arch)

There are two branches, stumpwm--cvs--0 and stumpwm--netwm--0.  The
cvs branch is simply what's in CVS, and the netwm branch is my effort
to make Stumpwm NETWM-compliant.  (That seems to have many names, but
the spec is at http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-spec )

[ Put another way, get "tla" and run:
tla register-archive http://w1.312.comhem.se/~u31227643/archives/
tla get address@hidden/stumpwm--netwm--0 stumpwm
]

So, what's in NETWM?  A lot of things, but these are my particular
goals:

* Recognize window types.  Stumpwm already knows the difference
  between normal and transient windows, but there are also
  docks/panels, ripped-off menus, palettes and such.  Hopefully this
  will eventually make the GIMP less painful to use under Stumpwm.
* Virtual desktops.  If Stumpwm follows the standard, you can use any
  compliant desktop pager you want (including 3ddesktop).

What I've done so far makes no practical difference, but it will be
coming, I hope.

Magnus