Re: [STUMP] [BUG] problem with mplayer fullscreen

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: [STUMP] [BUG] problem with mplayer fullscreen
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 20:11:42 +0100

Hi Gwern!

I cc:ed the list (hoping you don't mind), because it could be a common
problem.

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:21:12 +0100, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Luca Capello <address@hidden> writes:
>> Fwiw, on my Debian sid, every movie I play with mplayer is
>> automatically in fullscreen (without the -fs option).  However,
>> when I use the -fs option, I cannot see anything, just the terminal
>> form where I launched mplayer.  And obviously this isn't the
>> behavior I'd expect.
[...]
>> Moreover, launching gmplayer crashes StumpWM and the only error I
>> could get in an Xnest is
>>
>>   Caught The value NIL is not of type STUMPWM::SCREEN. at the top
>>   level. Please report this.
[...]
> That's probably because of /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
>
> FWIW, I override the default mplayer.conf with my own in ~/.mplayer/:
> ,----
> | # Specify default video driver (see -vo help for a list).
> | vo=xv
> | # Start in fullscreen mode by default.
> | fs=no
> | # Enable software scaling (powerful CPU needed) for video output
> | # drivers that do not support hardware scaling.
> | zoom=yes
> | # Specify default audio driver (see -ao help for a list).
> | ao=alsa
> | # Drop frames to preserve audio/video sync.
> | framedrop=yes
> | # DVD: Display English subtitles if available.
> | slang=en
> | # DVD: Play Japanese audio tracks if available.
> | alang=ja
> `----

I don't think it's an mplayer.conf problem:

=====
address@hidden:~$ cat /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
### mplayer DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
#device for dvd
dvd-device=/dev/cdrom
#truetype font, using fontconfig
fontconfig=1
font='Sans'

### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

address@hidden:~$ cat ~/.mplayer/config
# Write your default config options here!

address@hidden:~$
=====

> I have no problems using mplayer this way, although I am using the
> mplayer-nogui package.

Thus it's the Marillat's package, not the official Debian one ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca