[STUMP] stumpwm confused by xosd

From: Philip M. White
Subject: [STUMP] stumpwm confused by xosd
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:13:31 -0500

Hi, all;

I am experiencing a problem with the interaction of stumpwm (git version
a4027408d337876860e3f5a85e00cca925e9fc45, pulled about half an hour ago)
and a program I wrote, called xosd-battery[1], that uses xosd[2].
xosd-battery outputs an OSD message to the display once every so often.

Every time xosd-battery outputs a message, stumpwm appears to receive a
NIL character.  I am experiencing two symptoms:
1) If xosd-battery outputs a message between the time I press C-t (my
keybinding prefix) and a stumpwm command key, stumpwm receives NIL, and
tells me: "C-t NIL not bound."
2) If I am in the process of giving stumpwm some string, such as for
lisp evaluation or a new group name, every time xosd-battery outputs a
message stumpwm records a non-printable character block as part of the
input.  For example, if I had typed "brows" and then xosd-battery
outputs a message, stumpwm displays "brows<block>" and keeps waiting for
further input.

xosd-battery does not appear to affect any other application.  That is,
if I am typing a URL into Firefox, xosd-battery's activity has no
bearing on the URL string.  Also no other application loses focus due to
xosd-battery's output.

Thank you for your attention, and as always, thanks for developing
stumpwm.

Links:
1: http://www.qnan.org/~pmw/software/xosd-battery/
2: http://ignavus.net/software.html