Re: [STUMP] Building StumpWM/CLisp on Ubuntu

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Building StumpWM/CLisp on Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:51:54 +0100

Hi,

Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:
> At Sun, 01 Nov 2009 22:18:02 +0100, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>
>> I'm running against time... and haven't had the opportunity for the upgrade
>> yet. Now, I don't risk much into doing the jump to 9.10 as I still can't
>> use StumpWM in my current config.
>>
>> I'll tell you when I do.

Some progress has been made...

I installed (by deleting the previous `/' partition, and keeping the `/home'
one) Ubuntu 9.10 (= Karmic) yesterday.

Today, I tried to get StumpWM back.

First trial: installing the SBCL (1.0.29) suite through the package manager,
and building StumpWM myself. This time, I could get it compiled right.

When launching it, nothing happened. No error, but really nothing visible on
the screen. No active key either.

    Note -- In fact, Ctrl-T was active, but I did not get it at that point in
    time. I was trying the left Windows key, which is set in my .stumpwmrc,
    but with no success.

Tried the easiest solution, then: installing stumpwm (and clisp) through the
package manager of Ubuntu.

Result is: OK. Got StumpWM back (a version of May 2009, not that bad).

Though:

1. The *mode-line-timeout* is not activated every second, contrarily to what's
   written in my "dot" file (but I think this was already the case before as
   well). So, this is not a new problem.

2. my `F19' key (`Caps_Lock') and `F20' (`Super_L') keys are not working,
   whatever I try (setting them "correctly" in my `.xsession' file, or in my
   `.Xmodmap' file).

   When trying to detect the keycodes with `xev', for what concerns `F20' at
   least, it just does not see it...

   For `F19', the following code is just useless:

   ;; keyboard layout
   (defvar *keyboard-layout* :qwerty-gb)
   (run-shell-command "setxkbmap gb && xmodmap -e 'clear lock' -e 'keycode 66 =
F19' -e 'add lock = F19'")

   (defcommand toggle-keyboard-layout () ()
     (ecase *keyboard-layout*
       (:qwerty-gb
        (setf *keyboard-layout* :azerty-fr)
        (run-shell-command "setxkbmap fr && xmodmap -e 'clear lock' -e 'keycode
66 = F19' -e 'add lock = F19'")
        (message "Selected keyboard layout: France"))
       (:azerty-fr
        (setf *keyboard-layout* :qwerty-gb)
        (run-shell-command "setxkbmap gb && xmodmap -e 'clear lock' -e 'keycode
66 = F19' -e 'add lock = F19'")
        (message "Selected keyboard layout: United Kingdom"))))

   (define-key *root-map* (kbd "F19") "toggle-keyboard-layout")

3. If I banish the pointer in my "dot" file, then I first am forced to set the
   focus with the mouse somewhere on the screen before the prefix key is
   working. That's very disturbing, but only occurs at the very first launch
   of the session.

4. My own-compiled version of StumpWM does not read my `.stumpwmrc' file, it
   seems. Nothing appears on the screen. But, yes, `Ctrl-T' is active, and I
   can do whatever I want with it. Working, but not set up as expected.

Any idea?

Best regards,
  Seb, very happy to use StumpWM again (even if it's not the cutting-edge
  version)

--
Sébastien Vauban