[STUMP] multi-head setup

From: Michael Raskin
Subject: [STUMP] multi-head setup
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:25:36 +0400

>My stumpwmrc has something like...
>
>  (run-commands "term")
>
>and this starts one terminal in one of the frames.  Is it possible to loop
>over all frames, and start a terminal in each?

(group-frames (current-group)) should help. Loop over it, select the
frame, run the command, wait. Or just create window-placement rules and
set different window class or title for every terminal instance.

>And a more complicated question for my setup...  When I switch groups, both
>monitors switch.  Is there any way to associate a group with a head, instead
>of a screen?
>
>(I have one virtual screen that spans both monitors.  So to Xorg, there's one
>screen, two heads.  I've played with my xorg.conf trying to make each monitor
>its own screen, but when I do that before long X hangs the entire machine.
>Driver issue maybe, I'm not sure.)

We-ell. StumpWM cannot do this per se. There are my contrib modules in
the mailing list that allow you to partially emulate this behaviour,
though (window-tags and frame-tags).

You can ask me here or on IRC (MichaelRaskin) if you are interested.

The idea is that I first implemented tags for both windows and frames,
then defined alternative "only" command that doesn't merge distinctly
tagged frames, and the defined a command that removes all splits inside
frame group, pushes the windows not matching a condition on their tags
into an invisible group and pulls the windows that do match into the
current frame. With a bit of auto-tagging, it works quite well for me.