summer-of-code

Re: GNUstep's attendance this year

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep's attendance this year
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:14:38 +0200

Sorry for a late reply. While we probably won't solicit any new ideas by the deadline, here's a description.

------8<-----
GNUstep is a free and open version of the Cocoa (formerly known as NeXTSTEP/OpenStep) APIs and tools for as many platforms as possible.

GNUstep provides a robust implementation of the Foundation (the base libraries containing classes such as NSString, NSArray and NSDictionary) and AppKit (the graphical user interface classes such as NSWindow and NSButton).

GNUstep also contains equivalents of development tools that are available on Cocoa, such as Gorm (an equivalent of Interface Builder) and ProjectCenter (an equivalent of ProjectBuilder and Xcode).

GNUstep currently supports Unix (GNU/Linux and GNU/HURD, Solaris, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Darwin) and Windows.
------8<-----

You could link to the website at http://www.gnustep.org/ which contains more information and an extended description.

Here are some ideas you could list (I'm writing the proposal for the first idea right now):

- GUI drawing using our Opal graphics library
- persistence in our Core Data-compatible object graph management and persistence framework
- an implementation of the UIKit API, along with required fixes in QuartzCore
- bootstrapping an Android port
- wrapping the Android API into Objective-C

An even better option than publishing the above is to simply link to the GNUstep wiki containing a far larger list than the things listed above that I quickly threw together:
  http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas