summer-of-code

[gnu-soc] Proposal for Google Summer of Code 2024 with GNU poke

From: destiny obamwonyi
Subject: [gnu-soc] Proposal for Google Summer of Code 2024 with GNU poke
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:23:32 +0100

My name is Destiny Obamwonyi, and I am currently pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering. I have a strong background in C programming, having developed a simple shell project using C. I adhere to clean code practices, such as the Betty style approach, and have experience with documentation. I have been a keen Linux(ubuntu) user since 2019, proficient in bash scripting and GCC. I am enthusiastic about contributing to the GNU project and eager to learn and grow during the Google Summer of Code.

Project Interest:

I am particularly interested in the GNU poke project and excited about the opportunity to participate in Google Summer of Code 2024. I am drawn to the following project ideas:

1. Develop a Full-fledged DWARF Pickle

The DWARF pickle project presents an intriguing challenge that aligns well with my interests and skill set. I am keen to delve into the intricacies of debugging formats and expand the preliminary poke pickle to encompass support for DWARF2, DWARF3, DWARF4, and DWARF5. This involves implementing descriptions for DWARF data structures, integrating pretty printers, incorporating integrity checks, and developing a comprehensive testsuite and manual. With my strong programming skills and familiarity with low-level concepts, I am confident in my ability to contribute effectively to this project.

2. Support for Big Numbers in poke

The initiative to support big numbers in poke is another compelling project that I am eager to undertake. Leveraging my experience in C programming and familiarity with compilers and interpreters, I am prepared to integrate the GNU gmp library and introduce changes to the Poke language to accommodate integers with an arbitrarily large number of bits. I am excited about the prospect of enhancing the Poke Virtual Machine and adapting the IO subsystem to handle integers beyond 64 bits. Through rigorous testing and documentation efforts, I aim to deliver a robust solution that enhances the capabilities of GNU poke.

Project Plan

Timeline

Community Bonding Period: Engage with the poke community, familiarize myself with project resources, and discuss project specifics with mentors.

Project Implementation: Begin by refining project requirements and drafting a detailed implementation plan. Collaborate with mentors and fellow contributors to address design considerations and architectural decisions.

Code Development: Proceed with the development phase, focusing on the designated milestones outlined in the project proposal. Regularly communicate progress updates with mentors and solicit feedback to ensure alignment with project objectives.

Testing and Documentation: Devote significant attention to testing the implemented features rigorously and documenting code functionalities, APIs, and usage guidelines comprehensively. Strive for clarity and accessibility in documentation to facilitate future contributions and user adoption.

Review and Refinement: Conduct thorough code reviews and incorporate feedback from mentors and community members. Iterate on implementation details and address any identified issues or optimizations to enhance code quality and maintainability.

Final Evaluation: Prepare a comprehensive project report summarizing achievements, challenges encountered, and lessons learned throughout the Google Summer of Code program. Participate in final evaluations and reflect on personal and project-related growth experiences.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am genuinely enthusiastic about the opportunity to collaborate with the GNU poke community and contribute meaningfully to the advancement of the project. With a solid foundation in C programming, Linux systems, and a passion for clean and efficient code, I am committed to delivering high-quality solutions that align with project goals and objectives. I am grateful for the chance to participate in Google Summer of Code 2024 and look forward to making significant contributions to the GNU poke project.

Github : https://github.com/obamwonyi

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/destiny-obamwonyi-3a8a52218/

Thank you for considering my proposal.

Sincerely,