summer-of-code

[gnu-soc] GSoC Inquiry

From: Yuvraj Saxena
Subject: [gnu-soc] GSoC Inquiry
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:12:24 +0530

Hello, I'm Yuvraj Saxena. I'm 23 years old and a cybersecurity professional. Despite currently being in the 6th semester of my 8-semester program, I have amassed years of expertise in reverse engineering various applications, including banking applications for mobile devices, games, IoT devices such as routers, electric vehicle motor controllers, fiber modems, and drivers from the Linux Kernel. My journey in reverse engineering began in 2014 with LCM drivers for MTK devices, where I reverse-engineered stock kernels to develop new sources. Taking the same Mediatek device board's sources as a reference (wiko), I rewrote or added drivers by reverse engineering from stock binaries. Hence, I have been in the security industry for a decade now. I'm currently seeking a full-time job, but unfortunately, I've been facing challenges in landing one. It seems that many HR departments prioritize candidates with degrees, often overlooking valuable experience and expertise in the field. Despite this obstacle, I've remained active as a freelancer and have reported numerous vulnerabilities to various banking organizations. I have contributed to various open-source projects, including some notable ones such as AOSP, Lineage OS, Radare2, Frida, Binwalk, and Termux.
My passion lies in reverse engineering, malware analysis, cryptography, and digital forensics. Recently, my brother suggested that I should contribute to Google Summer of Code (GSoC) so that companies will notice me. Since I'm passionate about reverse engineering and digital forensics, I thought, "Why don't I contribute to a tool that can aid me and other fellows in RE as well as forensic research?" So, I have decided to take on the GNU DD project. If this project is available, I would like the company of a mentor who can supervise and guide me during the GSoC period.
If any mentor is interested in reviewing my qualifications, I'd be happy to provide my resume for consideration. Please find it attached below.
You can find my public works on GitHub, although a significant portion of my work remains private due to DMCA restrictions.

Yours Sincerely,
Yuvraj Saxena