Re: [Swftools-common] Building with libs installed via Fink under OS X

From: Dan Friedman
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Building with libs installed via Fink under OS X
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:43:19 -0500

On Thursday, November 11, 2004, at 03:30 PM, Matthias Kramm wrote:

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:29:11PM -0500, Dan Friedman wrote:
Now that I have swftools working, I'd like to share how I did it for the benefit of any future Mac OS X/Fink user that comes along. Basically, you can get all the required libs via Fink (jpeg, t1lib, freetype, lame), but then you
have to inform configure of where they are:

% ( setenv LDFLAGS "-L/sw/lib" ; setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/sw/include -I/sw/include/lame" ; ./configure )
 % make
 % sudo make install

Thanks for that info. I'll also add that to the FAQ.

I wonder, btw., whether configure should add /sw/lib and /sw/include to
the LDFLAGS/CPPFLAGS automatically if it finds out to be running under
Mac OS X. These are the default Fink installation paths, right?

Those are indeed the default Fink installation paths, but it seems that some of the other folks who've weighed in so far are able to satisfy the lib dependencies in other ways. I'm running under Jaguar, and haven't really investigated whether it came with any of the required libs out of the box; I just assumed it didn't, quickly found them all in Fink, installed them all, and proceeded with ./configure. I guess the Right Thing to do, at least from a configure script standpoint, would be to detect if Fink is installed somehow (perhaps see if the 'fink' executable is anywhere in $PATH), then learn what the Fink install path is (I'd need to consult the docs for that, but I'm sure there's a way), and then set the LDFLAGS/CPPFLAGS if and only if some or all of the required libs are installed there. Of course, this doesn't address what to do in cases where Fink isn't installed, and/or some or all the dependencies might be met by other means as described in Rainer and Ksenia's posts.

I'm by no means expert in this, I'm afraid. Like I said, I just wanted to share what worked for me.
Hope this is helpful!

Dan