Re: [Swftools-common] Planning to package swftools for Debian

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Planning to package swftools for Debian
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 11:28:47 +0100

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:45:15PM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> The swftools is now packaged for Debian.

Many thanks for the effort you put into this!

> I haven't found a sponsor from debian-mentors, so it is not officially
> included in Debian yet.

What does one need to find a sponsor? Something I can do to help?

> Could you Matthias have a look at the notes on the changes I made for
> the Debian build: http://www.iki.fi/simppa/debian-swftools/changes/,
> and let me know if there is something that could break any of the
> tools.

Some notes:

| avi2swf.m4: added 'sed s/"-rpath "//' to avifile-config, as Debian does not
like -rpath

Shouldn't this be fixed in avifile-config, not in swftools?
I know it's easier to workaround this in a new package, but shouldn't
the -config scripts of packages give you the CFLAGS/LDFLAGS which are
tailored (and known to work) specifically for the curent system? (Which
doesn't seem to be the case if there's an -rpath issue on Debian)

| Added checkking of libart, as Debian prefers building against its own
| libart (currently libart-dev 1.4.2-27 and libart-2.0-dev 2.3.17-1).
| Could you let me know, if either of those has any known issues with
| swftools.

I'm not aware of any known issues, and so far the libart included
in swftools is pretty "vanilla". This might change in the future,
though. For 0.7.0, however, I guess using the system libart should
work.

| Removed make in m4/, as there is nothing to do

Actually, the Makefile in m4/ does a sanity check for the make
program. On a modern system, this shouldn't be required anymore though,
so this can indeed be removed.

| Removed LN_S and use debhelper's dh_link instead, because LN_S links
| to /home/myhome/projects/..., which doesn't look good in the Debian
| package

I didn't find the dh_link call in build.diff.gz, did I miss something
here?
The removal of the default_viewer.swf and default_loader.swf files
will break the -b and -l options of pdf2swf.

Where does the "myhome/projects/" come from, btw.?

| lib/h.263/Makefile.in is missing

lib/h.263/Makefile is no longer called, so this is intentional.
(The wrong comment at the top of the Makefile has been fixed now)

I'll do my best to include most of the other changes in the official
package.
(Except for the @WAV2SWF@ change, because the lame-less
 wav2swf (which lacks mp3 compression, but can create SWF files
 from WAV files nonetheless) has been used as such by some users)