Re: [Swftools-common] on swfc and pdf2swf

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] on swfc and pdf2swf
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:34:29 +0200

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 08:45:32PM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez <address@hidden>
wrote:
> I have been toying with the ActionScript 2 from Flash MX 2004
> (http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flash/documentation-mx.html).
>
> There are plenty of examples in their ?ActionScript Language Reference?.
> And many of them work with swfc, but with some of them there are syntax
> errors: how should be the following example be translated into swfc syntax?

Interesting. I'll have a look at this. Usually, swfc should be able
to compile all actionscript prior to Flash 9.

Though it might be that if these are more difficult to fix, I'll
leave that alone. Right now, I'm rather toying with the idea of
finally writing a complete (i.e., compile from source instead of
compile-from assembler, like with the upcoming pdf2swf link AVM2
link feature) Flash 9 (AVM2) AS compiler. That might
be more useful in the long run.

> On the poppler compilation: is it enabled if the proper libraries are
> found or must it be enabled as a compilation option?

It doesn't work yet. It's just in there to show good will.

> Poppler seems to support embedded multimedia objects in PDF documents.
> Would it be possible to improve this in pdf2swf?

Maybe- you mean Javascript, U3D and stuff?
I'm not entirely sure about the whole Poppler<->xpdf forking thing.
poppler seems to be very active, and I haven't heard from Derek
(the xpdf author) for quite some time. On the other hand, the
poppler guys still refer to xpdf as "upstream" and incorporate fixes.
Last time I looked, they were also seriously lacking support for
advanced things like transparency groups. Anyway, I don't want to
switch to poppler just so that suddenly a new xpdf is released
which can do more things than the poppler version I just switched to.