[Swftools-common] Problem with color gradient in PDF2SWF

From: Michael Haufler (scireum GmbH)
Subject: [Swftools-common] Problem with color gradient in PDF2SWF
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:02:38 +0200

Hello Mailinglist,

we have a little prob with PDF2SWF not converting a PDF cleanly without saying a word.
Have a look at http://demo.scireum.de/xxx.pdf
and the result: http://demo.scireum.de/xxx.swf

we already know the solution with the bitmap hint or -O2 leading to:
http://demo.scireum.de/xxx-02.swf

The problem is we do convert this automatically and we want to use -O2 only when ints needed (to complex to render an so on)
because cuality is not so good and filsize goes up by 4 times. So -=2 shoud really be the exception.

The really problem is that pdf2swf don't tell us about its behaviour. (The catalog has about 1200 Pages and only 8 Pages have this problem)
So one way is to convert the whole catalog with -O2 but that would be suboptimal.

The other way is to do those 8 Pages manually which is also not desirable cause we have quite a few of those candidates ;-)

Has anyone any idea?

Here is what pdf2swf tells us (I also tried -v but the there is no additional info)

D:\>pdf2swf xxx.pdf
NOTICE  Output filename not given. Writing to xxx.swf
NOTICE  processing PDF page 1 (595x842:0:0) (move:-23:-23)
NOTICE  Writing SWF file xxx.swf

D:\>pdf2swf xxx.pdf --output xxx-02.swf -O2
NOTICE  processing PDF page 1 (595x842:0:0) (move:-23:-23)
NOTICE  Writing SWF file xxx-02.swf

Greetings
Mike