Re: [Swftools-common] Exporting data from PDF2SWF in a binary format

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Exporting data from PDF2SWF in a binary format
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:21:46 -0700

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 08:19:16AM +0530, Jeremy Rudd <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was wondering if I could modify the source of PDF2SWF, to export
> directly to a simple binary format instead of exporting to SWF [...]

There are two file formats other than SWF that swftools can generate, on
of them binary (the other is ascii text)-

Take a look at
  lib/devices/file.c
and
  lib/devices/record.c
.

The former you can use right away by doing
    gfx2gfx file.pdf -o file.log
.
The latter is used for recording drawing operations for later replay (e.g.
inside transparency groups), but you should be able to tweak it so it's
written to disk.
At Scribd, we also generate a more compressed format called '.anr'.
We use that for transferring documents e.g. to Android devices. We can
open-source
it at some point if there is interest.
The nice thing about using a swftools generated binary format instead of the
PDF is that the binary format can be heavily optimized (--flatten, images
downscaled etc.)