Re: [Swftools-common] blended transparency support?

From: JL
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] blended transparency support?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:48:00 -0400

This has long been a limitation.  I am not sure on if any progress being made to tackle this.  Perhaps Matthias can speak to the complexities, progress or details surrounding several know transparencies warnings/limitations.

I find that often even though the warning is displayed, sometimes the conversion still looks OK on the output (50-50 perhaps).

There are several things that can be done to help overcome any integrity concerns on the output.

Within PDF2swf you can try the -s poly2bitmap or -s bitmap arguments.  I find that the bitmap option is more reliable for fixing display issues (ymmv), but of course you decimate any text, and in some cases increase file size and processing time.  You can also add the -s multiply=4 the bitmap argument to get a really crisp bitmap output further increasing size and processing time, but gets you pretty close to the original PDF.  Automating between switching modes of regular conversion, to flatten, to p2b and bitmap is something you would have to script out as I do not believe PDF2SWF will switch modes when the warnings are found.

It may be easier to tackle this issue as you mentioned PDF generation side.  My best advice and easiest to accommodate is to get a PDF in the PDF Version 1.3 (Acrobat 4.0) spec.  This older spec was before PDF supported live transparency and automatically flattens these types of elements, resulting, USUALLY in a PDF file that converts without issue using the standard conversion in PDF2SWF.  You may still on occasion hit an integrity issue which you would still fall back on poly2bitmap or bitmap.

Depending on you receive your files...you Publisher should be able to easily create a PDF profile to save out to 1.3.  You could also, if you have Acrobat Pro, use the "Save as Optimize" function to re-save the PDF to 1.3 yourself.

Anyway...good luck.  As stated, transparency, often being a printer's worst nightmare....certainly poses its own complications in the conversion to SWF world.

JL