Re: [Swftools-common] blended transparency support?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] blended transparency support?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:52:36 -0700

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 03:48:00PM -0400, JL <address@hidden> wrote:
> This has long been a limitation.  I am not sure on if any progress being
> made to tackle this.  Perhaps Matthias can speak to the complexities,
> progress or details surrounding several know transparencies
> warnings/limitations.

Limiting transparency to only the "normal" version stems from the
days when that was the only transparency mode supported by Flash-
unfortunately the base assumption that this is the only transparency
mode is pretty ingrained into swftools code base.
(In particular, the gfxdevice_t interface doesn't have the concept
 of filter operations on grouped elements)

> Automating between switching modes of regular conversion, to flatten, to
> p2b and bitmap is something you would have to script out as I do not
> believe PDF2SWF will switch modes when the warnings are found.

The "-s breakonwarning" switch will help a little bit, as it'll
terminate a pdf2swf process if it encounters something it can't handle,
thus allowing you to fall back to different parameters.
So you can do something like:
    pdf2swf --flatten -s breakonwarning file.pdf || \
    pdf2swf -s poly2bitmap || \
    pdf2swf -s bitmap