[Swftools-common] Commercial license for swftools

From: Samuel Langlois
Subject: [Swftools-common] Commercial license for swftools
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 17:51:15 +0100

Hello

Would it be possible to get a commercial license for SWFTools, from its copyright owner(s) ?
We would like to redistribute it, but not under the GPL.

Here is a bit of context: Alfresco is an Enterprise Content Management system, and we have been shipping SWFTools executables (unmodified) as part of the installer, calling them on the command line to perform some transformations on documents. Alfresco is dually licensed: LGPL and Commercial. We read http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation and we think that we are not infringing the GPL by doing this. But lately, more and more commercial customers are getting nervous about the GPL components, so we are investigating whether we could "retro-license" SWFTools under a commercial license, without changing our software. So, it's not a legal decision but a business one: we are willing to pay to avoid pleading to lawyers about the GPL.

Would that be possible? I've seen the question asked several time, but the latest answer I could find was 'Not yet', back in January 2007.

Thank your
--
Samuel Langlois