synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Feature Request(s)

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Feature Request(s)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:02:26 +0300

On Thu,  4 Sep 2003 10:00:15 +0300
Panu Matilainen <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Finally, when pressing proceed, Synaptic says that it must download xxMB
> > of archives rather than yy/xxMB of archives as apt-get says. Personally, I
> > would prefer the apt-get version, if you don't please could you make it
> > configurable as this is really useful for me.
>
> Due to differences in the way apt and synaptic work I think it's not quite
> as trivial as it sounds: the "fetcher" object which knows what's in local
> cache and what needs to be actually downloaded isn't available at the time
> Synaptic shows the download summary (unlike apt-get). Showing accurate stats
> would be nice but not sure if it's worth the effort, unless of course
> Michael has better idea how to do it that I :)

Some time ago I had looked at sources for this problem. And it seemed not very
hard to create fetcher at the creation time of download summary window instead
of do it after clicking 'Ok'. But I had no time to try it, sorry...
I think now there are a lot of changes in sources, but may be it's still not
very hard to implement... may be somebody want to do it? :)

-- Sviatoslav Sviridov <svd at lintec dot minsk dot by>
    /* icq: 10845380; jid: svd at altlinux dot org; */

Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.