synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Proxy problems

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Proxy problems
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:02:00 +0200

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:24:21AM -0700, Jeffrey Rasmussen wrote:

> Does synaptic work with the Gnome proxy configurations or does it
> have it's own proxy configuration?

Synaptic does not querry the gnome proxy settings. This is because
synaptic is in no way gnome dependend. If there is a way to querry the
proxy settings without the need to link against a gnome lib, I will
add this feature.

In the meantime, you can use the enviroment variable "http_proxy,
ftp_proxy" to set the proxy in synaptic. E.g:
$ export http_proxy=http://www-cache.my-comapny.com:3128/

should work.

But I clearly see the need to have such a option available in a more
user-friendly way.

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael