synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Proxy problems

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Proxy problems
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:25:26 +0300

Quoting Michael Vogt <address@hidden>:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 09:24:21AM -0700, Jeffrey Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > Does synaptic work with the Gnome proxy configurations or does it
> > have it's own proxy configuration?
>
> Synaptic does not querry the gnome proxy settings. This is because
> synaptic is in no way gnome dependend. If there is a way to querry the
> proxy settings without the need to link against a gnome lib, I will
> add this feature.

I think the thing to link against would be GConf(2) to query for Gnome proxy
settings IIRC.

> In the meantime, you can use the enviroment variable "http_proxy,
> ftp_proxy" to set the proxy in synaptic. E.g:
> $ export http_proxy=http://www-cache.my-comapny.com:3128/
>
> should work.

..or setting the proxy in /etc/apt/apt.conf

> But I clearly see the need to have such a option available in a more
> user-friendly way.

Yeah, configuring (apt) proxy settings via GUI would be nice. The apt config
syntax isn't always that user friendly :-/ For simple cases it'd suffice to
have a dialog to just enter the proxy url and setenv() that but it'd be nice to
handle the no-proxy cases etc as well in GUI.

--
    - Panu -