synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution selection
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:42:52 +0300

Quoting Sebastian heinlein <address@hidden>:

> Am Die, den 30.09.2003 schrieb Sebastian heinlein um 07:51:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Am Die, den 30.09.2003 schrieb Guillaume Pratte um 05:46:
> > > Some quick comments about the UI :
> > >
> > >  - If the "Expert" tab only contains options for "Distribution", then
> maybe it
> > > should be renamed "Distribution"? I would not know what to do with the
> > > existing "Distribution:" tag though...
> >
> > I would also suggest this. But I don't understand the importance of this
> > feature at all.
>
> I was wrong on this. I haven't considered that this is actually apt
> pining.

Exactly. We should pay some careful attention - here's a chance to get an
understandable GUI presesntation/configuration of apt pinning which by fiddling
with apt preferences file and looking at apt-cache policy output (did it
understand what I did) is anything but nice.

The way I see it, there are two basic cases:
1) user wants to install/upgrade something from non-default distro *now*
2) user wants to follow something from non-default release constantly

It'd be nice if there was a distro-selection menu (see my other post, the
possible distro values aren't tied to stable/testing/unstable at all) hidden in
advanced tab per package to enable permanent pinning for a given package, and a
global preference like there is now. That takes care of 2) but how to make 1)
easy and obvious .. well, dunno.

--
    - Panu -