synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] KDE Frontend

From: Peter Rockai (mornfall)
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] KDE Frontend
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:17:25 +0100

On Sunday 21 December 2003 17:58, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 10:04, Richard Bos wrote:
> > Did anyone hear about this new initiative; kapture?
> > It is a kde frontend to apt, but I think it is for debian only :(
> > http://members.shaw.ca/dkite/dec192003.html#Utilities
>
> It is part of the new KDE in Debian project and is being coded by Peter
> Rockai. I gave up on porting Synaptic since the code was too much tied to
> GTK libraries and the UI had some usability issues.
>
> I'll probably adapt it to Conectiva and other RPM-based distros in a near
> future, if Peter does not mind.
Peter surely wouldn't mind... However, your breakage is yours and you are
going to fix what you have broken, right? Ok, i might fix things for you, but
i can't promise anything. RPM support is of negligible priority for me right
now. I want to get it working on Debian and i want it soon. When this is
accomplished, i can look into rpm. But i, well, dislike rpm... No offense
meant -- have your package format, but noone is going to force this on me. So
if someone wants the support, he better implements it himself, than waiting
for me to do it :). Henrique, you are of course welcome. I look forward to
your contribution. Also,  Dominique Devriese offered me help, so you might
want to contact also him.

Now, i am curious, where should we coordinate? I am CC'ing everyone who
expressed interest. Any ideas? I think kde-debian would be appropriate (at
least by name). I'll ask Navin what she thinks...

Cheers,
    Peter

--
Peter Rockai (mornfall), mornfall()logisys!dyndns!org, mornfall.homeip.net
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.