synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window

From: Jens Hatlak
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:12:40 +0200

Michael Vogt wrote:
What I'd like to see is that very Distribution switch in the main Synaptic window, e.g. next to the search button. Off by default and only activatable for experts, of course. I think it would be very handy.

Synaptic has to rebuild the package cache when you change the default
distribution. This can take a couple of seconds. Do you think this is
acceptable?

Yes, definitely. And it is quite consistent: It also takes some time when you search for something, do an "Update" or whatever.

It's actually not very hard to add, most of the code is
there. Unfortunately I have very limited time right now :/

Well, I think it's worth the effort. Whenever you have some time...

It would be very nice if we would add a configurable toolbar in the
future. We could add cool toolbar entries like this distribution
switch, a shortcut for the "foce version" and other things (off by
default, but available).

Yes, but that is probably more work and will be postponed.

Another question I'd like to ask is whether the ability to select from which distribution a single package should be installed (using radio buttons) will come back. It was present in earlier versions (0.4x I think) but went away, due to a rewrite I guess.

It there again in 0.52 under "Packages/Force Version".

OK, but that is rather hard to access, UI-wise.

Greetings,

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>