synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences

From: Matthew Miller
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Need logging function in Preferences
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:09:25 -0400

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 01:03:22PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> apt's Lua-interface. Several different scripts to do that exist, each
> with some differences in functionality:
> - https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/apt-rpm/trunk/contrib/log/
> - http://laiskiainen.org/apt/lua/pkglog/
> - http://www.mattdm.org/misc/apt-stuff/

If anyone has any suggestions or advice for this last one (mine), I'm very
open to it. :)

Not that the other ones are bad or anything, but two of the particular
niceties of my version: it logs via syslog instead of an apt-specific
mechanism, and it actually calls RPM for each package to confirm that the
package actually was installed or removed. This second part is important
because in some error conditions apt's idea of success differs from reality.
(Because RPM itself returned success, even though there might have been some
actual problems.) I had this issue with running out of space on /boot. So
not only does the script log correctly in that case, it causes apt itself to
properly fail.

On the other hand, my script totally breaks with --reinstall. I need to fix
that.
:)

--
Matthew Miller           address@hidden        <http://www.mattdm.org/>