building the parser as a perl module and in texinfo

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: building the parser as a perl module and in texinfo
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:28:25 +0200

Hello,

Now that the Parser is done, there remains the difficulty
of setting it up to be built and installed.  In my opinion
the optimal situation would be to be able to build it both
as a standalone perl module (with texi2any included) or as
part of texinfo.  There are some difficulties for both
purposes:

As a standalone module
----------------------

* texi2any.pl is full of strings that should be substituted
  by configure
* po and po_document strings are outside of the module.
  In addition, it is not clear that there is an infrastructure
  in perl modules to take care of the po directories
* non standard modules shipped with texinfo in texi2html/lib
  won't be available.  Maybe they could be added in
  Makefile.PL BUILD_REQUIRES conditionally?
* (not really an issue) some files should need to be copied
  over, like COPYING

Within texinfo
--------------

The perl modules will not be correctly integrated in the
automake based infrastructure.  For instance, the installation
paths do not follow the GNU conventions -- although installing
in GNU directories should also mean adding the paths somewhere
in texi2any.pl to ensure that the modules are found.  Also
make distcheck is not an available target and I am not sure
that make distdir and so on and so forth are available either.

Any idea/remark?

Should I post that to the bug-texinfo mailing list hoping
that people knowledgable about this stuff can give some
input?

--
Pat