Re: documentation needed

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: documentation needed
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:51:58 +0200

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:35:20AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> I agree that the API documentation in general is not needed for the
> release.  What is most important are the simpler/common user
> customizations.

In my current view, common customizations only require changing the
customization variables.  Anything more complex is not a simple
customization and requires a non trivial API.

Customization that only require the change in a hash could also
be considered as simple customization, but I think that, even for those
changes the API is not definitive, as I am still not really happy
with it, so I'd prefer not to document it, especially since I don't see
a reason why a user would want to change such a detail.  In my opinion,
users would want either to use the customization variable, or really
customize the output, but I doubt they would want to change just
a precise command formatting.

>     other activities (that are still mysterious at that day since the
>     videos are still not up at the GHM site
>
> Was Ludo going to do it, or someone else?  Do you know?

I think that Sylvestre Ledru is working on it, but they have trouble
with some conversion to formats.

> I also plan to read through the (new chapters of the) manual again,
> probably more than once, and no doubt will have plenty of
> questions/clarifications.

But do you agree on the principle that I remove most of what is in
'texi2any Output Customization' to keep mostly what relates to init files
finding and customization variables setting?  Or do you want more to be
documented?

More precisely, I think that a good plan would be
* duplicate The whole 'texi2any Output Customization' section
  in texi2oldapi.texi to have the last documentation of texi2html archived.

* trim down the 'texi2any Output Customization' to things that are not
  to be changed, mainly init files loading and customization variables API.

Do you agree?

--
Pat