tp/ all-local target

From: Karl Berry
Subject: tp/ all-local target
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 00:30:27 GMT

Hi Patrice,

So, the next issue I see is the all-local target in tp/Makefile.am.
The unconditional rm -rf and install of course means this stuff is done
on every make.  But one of the goals for every GNU package is that after
running make, a subsequent make should do nothing.

What comes to mind is that since we are already generating part of the
Makefile, we could also generate extra rules do the job, like
t/locales/it/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo_document.mo: ../po_document/it.gmo
        $(INSTALL_DATA) ../po_document/it.gmo $@

And make them dependencies on all-local (or something).

The rm -rf's of the target directories would need to happen as part of
some clean target.  Admittedly that means stale files could stick
around, but that seems no worse than any other case of stale files.

(Incidentally, it seems an rm -rf of $(relative_include_dir) is
missing?)

Wdyt?  If this approach seems ok to you, I can work on it, assuming you
have plenty of other (real) things to deal with.

Thanks,
karl