Re: Converter that can be used for detexinfo

From: Dumas Patrice
Subject: Re: Converter that can be used for detexinfo
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:51:28 +0100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 04:33:34PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     Should that kind of script be in util/ or in tp/?
>
> util sounds better to me.

Ok.

>     texi2any --set-init-variable TEXTCONTENT=1 "$@"
>
> Could even start it with "exec" :).

Of course...

> Can you add an item in the manual for TEXTCONTENT, please?

In fact this is a bit special, not really a normal customization variable
as it sets an output format.  It is not the only one like that, there is
also TEXI2HTML, DEBUGCOUNT, DEBUGTREE, RAW_TEXT.  I guess none is documented
and at least TEXTCONTENT, RAW_TEXT, TEXI2HTML and certainly DEBUGTREE
should be documented (DEBUGCOUNT is not that important to document, I am
not very positive that it really works in general cases).

But i am not sure that I shouldn't revisit the fact that they are
special.

I add it to the TODO not to forget it.

Another questions, should it expand @titlepage, @copying and
@documentdescription?

>     How should it be called?
>
> How about TEXTCONTENT_COMMENT=1 ?  Or does comments vs. no comments
> conceivably apply in other contexts?

It could.  Right now, comments are kept in --xml in every case, if
I remember well in --docbook they are kept as far as possible (they may be
ignored on @-command lines, for example), they are not output at all in
Info, HTML, Plaintext.  Making that more customizable for formats where
it make sense (HTML, docbook, xml) may make sense, although I don't think
it is very important.

> (And, strip by default, I think?)

Agreed.

--