Re: report with biggest nodes

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: report with biggest nodes
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:37:28 +0100

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 05:07:02PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> Patrice -- just a stray thought: how hard would it be to dump out a list
> of nodes sorted by the number of lines (or words) they contain?  Just
> an auxiliary output kind of like the crazy "internal links" file
> (although this could be controlled by a directive, no need for an option).
>
> The idea is to identify the biggest nodes, which are likely to be the
> ones most in need of splitting up.  (I got to thinking about this as I
> was writing up #line and the description kept getting longer.)
>
> If it's at all troublesome, don't worry about it.  It's obviously easy
> enough to do with a separate utility.  But if it's trivial, I figured it
> could be built-in.

Now that i have done a separate utility, it also seems to me that it
would be very easy to integrate in texi2any, a bit like what is done for
-E...  And it saves the trouble to reimplement the command line options.
The not so easy part would be deciding whether to use nodes or sections.
Indeed, the logic would be to let this be what the format would do and
this is not so easy.  I'll think a bit more about that.

--
Pat