Re: report with biggest nodes

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: report with biggest nodes
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:28:29 -0800

    Well, it looks better in menus when it is shorter, in my opinion.

Of course shorter is better, all else being equal.  But sometimes all
else is not equal.  It can be good to give a description.  It can be
good to use the menu abbreviation feature.  Only a human can make such
decisions.  If we add a feature which lets humans get away with not
making them, we aren't doing anyone a service.

    My idea was to automatically generate menu entries that are not
    already done by the user.

"Generate"?  Certainly we're not rewriting the original source file, so
where are you generating them?

Anyway, my intuition is that it would be better to give warnings about
menu items missing, rather than "generating" replacements, because of
the above.

But, we don't need to decide any of this now, right?

    I'll certainly move it to util, it could be an example.

Sounds good.

Thanks,