Re: report with biggest nodes

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: report with biggest nodes
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:35:14 -0800

    I tend to disagree.  When producing docbook, for instance, nodes

I know, but for this particular application, it hardly would have
mattered, seems to me.

    I hope that nodes will mostly be used to have something shorter
    for section names.

Aside: which is generally undesirable anyway.  I hate that it was
historically encouraged.  Anyway.

    In the future, with missing nodes and menu automatic generation,

Another aside: I wasn't actually aware we were moving down this road.
We don't want to encourage people to do without nodes.  Or rather,
without menus.  Humans should really make those decisions ...

    in texi2any for every format, the default will be nodes for formats
    with 'nodes_tree' and USE_NODES is true too.

Good, so much the better.

    So I'll put that in texi2any -- although I guess we can keep the
    stand-alone script somewhere, like in util.

Let's not bother with the standalone script.  Or at least, let's not
install it.  Then it would have to be documented, man page, info
invoking section, etc., etc., and it's not worth all that trouble.
Instead, let's just mention the functionality and the incantation in the
manual.

Thanks,
karl