Re: report with biggest nodes

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: report with biggest nodes
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:25:49 +0100

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 05:07:02PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> Patrice -- just a stray thought: how hard would it be to dump out a list
> of nodes sorted by the number of lines (or words) they contain?  Just
> an auxiliary output kind of like the crazy "internal links" file
> (although this could be controlled by a directive, no need for an option).
>
> The idea is to identify the biggest nodes, which are likely to be the
> ones most in need of splitting up.  (I got to thinking about this as I
> was writing up #line and the description kept getting longer.)
>
> If it's at all troublesome, don't worry about it.  It's obviously easy
> enough to do with a separate utility.  But if it's trivial, I figured it
> could be built-in.

I did a separate utility, I have put it in tp and called it
texi_sort_elements_count.  I could make it part of texi2any, but I wonder
if it is really a good idea to complexify like that for a functionality
that is easily put in an external tool, now that it is modular.

i18n is missing, though, but I am not sure it is very useful for that tool.
And it could be added quite easily.  Having matching command-line with
texi2any was painful, however, and mostly a duplication.  But now other
tools could use the code...

--
Pat