Re: an implementation of pod2texi

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: an implementation of pod2texi
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:10:12 -0800

    This should not be as complicated as tp/, hopefully...

Hopefully :).

    Since Pod::Simple::Texinfo depends on the tp modules, however, it is
    not that easy to do in practice, as both are likely to evolve
    together.

Right.  Like I said, I see no reason not to release it both ways.
But definitely as part of Texinfo.

    There are no strings output in the module, but there are a few in
    pod2texi.  Should it be internationalized?

1) What are the strings?

2) Meaning, incorporate all the crazy hoops you had to jump through to get
i18n to work in tp?  That does not sound good.

3) I would guess that people occasionally write pods in other languages
(although I've never seen one).  The important thing would be to ensure
that the output texi for such doesn't include any English.  The --help
string or whatever from the tool itself is less important.  (And the
whole issue can be postponed).

    Still something around 10 modules documentations.

I asked about pages, not modules :).  If it's 10 *pages*, that's no big
deal and we could put it in the main manual.  But I suspect it's a lot
more, in which case it would be better separate.  The FSF wouldn't
appreciate the extra cost of printing 50 pages in the paper version of
the manual that they sell.

Thanks,