an implementation of pod2texi

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: an implementation of pod2texi
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:41:12 +0100

Hello,

In december, I made a pod2texi implementation.  I just uploaded it
http://pertusus.free.fr/Pod-Simple-Texinfo-0.01.tar.gz

It may operate in 2 ways, either format a Pod file as a standalone
manual, or take many pod files on the command line and format them as
chapters of a manual (or sections).

I am not that satisfied with it, because there are no nodes generated, instead
anchors are generated for each sectioning command.  In the longer term, I
would like to implement automatic node and menu generation in a parsed
tree, and use it to generate nodes and menus.

It could be easy to generate nodes instead of anchors, but then the
manual would be incorrect, since menu entry for the nodes would be
missing.

Another issue is that it depends on modules that are in texinfo in tp, so
it is not obvious how it should be distributed.

Should it be part of texinfo?  A separate GNU project?  Just something
that is available on CPAN?  The Pod::Simple modules it depends on are
used in newer perls for core perl pod2* scripts, so it is a widely
available dependency.

For now it is done as a classical perl module, but I can change that
easily.

Also, should we use it for the texinfo manual somehow to incorporate the
pod documentation I made for the tp perl modules to the main texinfo manual
or (more likely) another manual for backend developpers?

--
Pat